Monday, July 7, 2008

Lessons from a 41 year old swimming champion

Everybody's talking about Dara Torres today. She's the amazing swimmer who, at 41 years old, won the 50- and 100-meter freestyles to nail her spot on her fifth Olympic team.

Matt Lauer asked her, "So what's your secret?"

I thought she was going to say the usual stuff, but she said 2 things that surprised me.

She said, "I know how to recover, and that's important at my age." She was talking physically, but what great words of wisdom for anyone dealing with stressful situations. If you master the art of recovery, you're going to be okay. (Hear that, single folks?)

The second thing she said was even deeper. She said, "The water doesn't know how old you are." Wow!

I really needed to hear that because in 3 months I'm turning 50, and I'm a little nervous. I'm beginning to feel my mortality.

But if you think of the water as a metaphor for life, it really doesn't matter how old you are. You can do anything you want to do as long as you're willing to dedicate the necessary time and effort.

No comments: