Friday, July 11, 2008

Celeb teens pledge to abstain until marriage

Thanks to Rachel from SingleMomSeeking.com who sent me a note about Disney stars Selena Gomez and the Jonas Brothers vowing to abstain from sex until marriage. It's refreshing to read about teens who are at least trying to wait.

15 year-old Selena says, "I'm going to keep my promise to myself, to my family and to God."

The Jonas Brothers (Kevin-20, Joe-18, and Nick-15) wear promise rings to prove their virginity and intention to wait. Joe says the rings signify their "promises to ourselves and to God that we'll stay pure till marriage."

I'm not crazy about the word "pure." It puts down victims of sexual molestation and those who have not made the choice to abstain. But I love what these teens are doing. I hope their millions of tween and teen fans are paying attention.

And yes, dear skeptics, I know other teen stars have broken their pledges in the past, but give the kids a break! They may slip, or maybe they'll achieve their goal. Celebrity kids should be allowed to make their life choices and mistakes like everyone else.

By the way, are your tweens and teens dealing with some heavy relationship issues? Contact me at sensualcelibacy@live.com to get your copies of Girlfriends Diary #1 and Journal for Young Men #1 (Real Talk, Real Thoughts About Love, Relationships & Sex). These guided journals are abstinence based. If you have teens and tweens at home, if you're a teacher, a minister, a guidance counselor, or someone who works with kids in the community, these books will help make your job much easier. Teachers: they're also great for writing exercises.

Soon I'm going to put a cart on the site to make it simple and easy to purchase the journals and Sensual Celibacy. Thanks for your patience!

1 comment:

Single Mom Seeking said...

I haven't forgotten about you... and thanks for the link!

I thought of you today when I saw the news: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26622839/